You may remember that in the Spring I planted some beans that I had saved from last year’s crop. After giving a few away, I had four nice healthy plants that I had planted out in the garden and was nurturing. They were doing well. They needed watering and slugs removing and of course talking to but all that didn’t take long and they were responding well.
Then I went on holiday. I was away for just over two weeks, and I expected them to have grown a lot during that time and I was looking forward to seeing them when I got home.
Oh dear, what a shock I got! They were completely decimated. Everthing had been eaten by slugs – all the leaves and most of the stalks had gone. I was so upset. I watered the stumps for a few days to see if they would be able to sprout again, but there was no growth at all.
By now it was nearly two months since I had originally planted the bean seeds in little pots so I had no idea if there was enough time to do it again, but as I still had some beans left I thought I might as well have a go.
This time I planted two beans in each of the little pots. I kept them warm and watered and kept looking to see if they were sprouting, but nothing happened for a couple of weeks. I was beginning to think that they weren’t going to sprout, but then the beans started to split and a thick stalk grew out from between the two halves of the bean, and two leaves that seemed to be folded up inside the bean unfurled themselves and broke free to spread out. It reminded me of a butterfly coming out of it’s chrysalis. It was amazing watching them grow.
I kept the little pots high up away from slugs, and they’ve been fine. I’ve just repotted them into a bigger pot – not into the ground this time. I’m going to make sure they’re big and strong before I take any chances of slugs finding them. They’re looking really healthy and I’m enjoying watching them grow, and I’m looking forward to being able to pick fresh runner beans.
This is what they looked like just before I repotted them.